Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Say Cheese :)

     Yesterday I went down to Wellstar to have my "pouchogram" at an imaging center near the hospital. This is basically a way to check the integrity of my J-Pouch and ensure that it is safe to proceed with the second surgery in March.

     Upon, getting to the clinic, I filled out the normal paperwork and made sure to mention that I DON'T HAVE A COLON! This is important in a procedure like this, because they have to tailor the procedure to make sure they don't hurt you or damage the pouch. First, they took a few normal x-rays without the barium. I explained my surgery and the fact that I don't have a colon to the x-ray techs and they seemed genuinely interested and wanted to make sure they did things right. 

 Fluoroscopy Machine
    Next, they took me back to a different room. This had a slightly bigger machine with a table. I think this is either called a fluoroscopy machine or dynamic x-ray. It is basically a moving x-ray as opposed to just one single picture. It uses x-rays to get several images very quickly at different angles and positions. One of the techs was filling up a LARGE bag with warm tap water. He pointed to several bottles of the contrast sitting on the counter. The contrast was actually clear! I was thankful for this since I was expecting the nasty, thick, white barium that I have had before (I had to drink it though... not pleasant either way it enters your body, I'm sure!). Also, the techs comforted me saying that they were using much less than they typically would on someone with a colon (suckers!). Also, they used the smallest catheter tip that they had. The techs were VERY nice and responsive. I kept reminding them that I didn't  have a colon, and instead of ignoring this (like I'm sure some medical professionals might do), they listened and made sure they were doing things correctly based on my specific circumstances. Kudos to that crew! It made the whole process a little easier! 

    After getting into a couple of robes and sliding up onto the (hard) table, they inserted the catheter and began to infuse the contrast into my pouch. It was a little painful when they first inserted the catheter and once the contrast began to flow. It felt like my pouch had small spasms when the liquid entered and this was a little uncomfortable. Once enough contrast was in, they made me roll onto my sides and roll around in some very uncomfortable positions (all of this while one of the techs was holding the catheter in my butt... poor guy!). Finally, they removed the catheter and asked me to hold in the contrast. This is the part I was the most worried about! I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to, since I originally did not know how much liquid they would use. Luckily, I had no issues holding it and after a few more pictures, they let me use the restroom to get rid of the contrast. Then, they took a few more x-rays to see how well I got rid of the contrast. 

     Finally, I got dressed and was on my way! Overall, the procedure was not terrible. Certainly not a picnic, but much less terrible than I had pictured it in my head! I tend to create these horrible scenarios in my head. Perhaps, it's because I always look stuff up on the internet. It seems that most of the time, people only post their experiences on the internet when they have BAD experiences. Hopefully, my posts will be refreshing to those who may be going through the same thing and are looking for reassurance. So far, I've had no complications (**knock on wood**) and love sharing my stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment