Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Two Weeks Out...

I'm exactly two weeks out and have been feeling better since the last time I posted.

Dr. Nesmith checked my blood work when I went in and said that everything was stable. I think I may have had a little stomach virus of some sort... I had a fever when I went in for my appointment, so this may be the reason I felt so bad. Also, I got PLENTY of rest the week I saw Dr. Nesmith because of our fall break. Definitely much needed and very helpful!

My appointment with Dr. Liberman went well and he let me ask as many questions as I had. He is very patient and even drew a few diagrams to answer some questions. He also mentioned the possibility of me using epidural analgesia (pain medication) post-surgery. This would be instead of having a typical morphine pump (PCA). The PCA works well, but comes with a lot of side effects that can delay recovery (nausea, vomiting, grogginess, etc). The epidural will hopefully help me have no pain without the side effects of the PCA Pump. I did a little research and discovered that the epidural analgesia is very beneficial and speeds recovery time because there is less trauma to your body (because of fewer side effects). I am going to ask the anesthesiologist about it during my Pre-Op appointment and see if it is a viable option for my surgery.

I also got the date of my Pre-Op at the last appointment. I will go in next week on Nov. 1st to do all my Pre-Surgery testing and training. They will mark my stoma site and perform bloodwork (along with numerous other things I'm sure). Still not really sure what to expect this day, but hopefully it will help calm my nerves a little(?).

Also, I started feeling sick again at the end of last week. At first, I thought it was just my fall allergies kicking in, but I lost my voice very quickly (within only a few hours it seemed like) and still haven't quite recovered all the way. I went to an urgent care center thinking I might have bronchitis (because of a cough that won't go away). However, I was diagnosed with a pretty decent sinus infection and was given a dose of antibiotics and some steroids to help kick this infection before surgery.

I am getting more anxious the closer the surgery date gets. I have one more busy weekend this week, then next weekend, I will be in full prep mode for surgery. I need to get my act together and make sure I am ready for recovery at home after surgery.


No comments:

Post a Comment